Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Quiet

Life has been interesting lately. A lot of things going on, both good and bad, but in the midst of it all, I've found one thing I'm increasingly thankful for. Quiet.

On the more superficial level - it's just nice to be in a quiet place, relaxing and spending time with a book, or with Tyler and Lily. We went to a birthday dinner for some friends of ours last night and while it was so much fun, it was one of the loudest places I've been to. Except maybe a concert. When you're standing right next to the speaker. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I value external quiet a lot more than I used to. Just call me grandma.

On the internal level, being able to just stop, whether it's in my car, before I go to sleep, stepping outside during the day, or whenever - being able to just be still and quiet has been such a welcome blessing lately. It's given me time to think, to pray, to listen - things I don't think I took enough time before to do. And so in the midst of life, I've been able to carve out little pieces of quiet time that have helped me cope and reflect and give things over to God that I would normally hang on to myself. It's a hard thing to do, letting go of things, of worry, but I find the more I do, the more at peace I am. Funny how that works, huh?

2 comments:

royster family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
royster family said...

and here we come to bust up all that quietness! can't wait to see you guys this weekend!