

2 things, which apparently unrelated at the time, happened to me on the same day. First - I finished Jane Austen's Emma. Second - I heard Fergie's new song, Clumsy.
I have been struggling, ever since I was supposed to read it for a book club, to finish Emma. It actually got veto-ed after about a month of all of us trying to read it because none of us could get into it. How's that for a book club? Oprah would not be proud. But not one to back down from a challenge, I promised myself I would finish it because, I mean, it's Jane Austen for heaven's sake and I've never read another book of hers and I HAVE to read at least one, right? So I did it. It took a lot of motivation on my part and at the end of it all, I can say I appreciate it but didn't care for it. I get why it's a classic and I understand that her social commentary is sharp and comedic, but honestly, it was boring to me. That is, until the end, when she realized she loved Mr. Knightley. I'm a sucker for a love story and after pages and pages of loooong paragraphs on manners and society, it was nice to get to the meat of the story - or what I considered the meat of the story. So the last - oh about 100 pages of the book, I was in. A little late, but better late than never right? Hooray for happily ever after. But I'm not gonna lie when I say I liked Clueless better.
Cut to later that afternoon while I was radio surfing and came upon Fergie's latest song, Clumsy. What in the WORLD is this song? It might be one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I've never gotten why she's popular and this song just confirmed that for me. I think I might like GLAMOROUS better, and I hate that song too. I mean, "Flossy, Flossy" - what does that even mean? Is she telling me I should floss my teeth? Because I don't really think I need personal hygiene advice from the woman that peed all over herself in concert. Anyway - after I tried to give it a chance for about 30 seconds and then had to change the station, I started thinking about Emma & Fergie.
Jane Austen, prepare to roll over in your grave. Here's what I came up with - Emma & Fergie are strangely similar. A few examples:
1.) They both think they're a little better than they actually are
2.) They both ended up with men better than them. Say what you will about Josh Duhamel, but he is hot. She looks like a man 90% of the time. And Mr. Knightley makes Emma a better person.
3.) People think they are better than they actually are - ex.) Fergie's singing & Emma's piano playing. Emma admits that she is not as good as people say she is, while I'm not really sure what Fergie's stance is. I imagine she thinks she's just as good as her fans do.
4.) Both started out with good intentions...i.e, Emma wanting to marry her friend Harriet to a man above her station in life & Fergie starting out on Kids Incorporated. How she went from cute Stacy Ferguson on that show, to the woman we see today is a mystery.
5.) They both had to overcome obstacles - Emma, her misguided matchmaking & Fergie, her crystal meth addiction.
See, it's like they're the same person, right? Okay, maybe not, but it was funny to me when I started to think about it. More power to Fergie for being a strong, successful woman - oh, and hey, Emma is too! See - it's uncanny.
4 comments:
Funny stuff. Matchmaking and crystal meth are virtually the same issues. I can't stand Fergie for the record. At all.
Genius. Good post! :)
I've never read emma, but i really enjoyed pride a predjudice; which is harder to admit since im a guy.
I personally love Emma but can see where it's boring (plus I might like Clueless a little better myself). Emma's kind of like Jane Eyre. I had to read it a bunch of times before I really got into it. And if you read a lot of Jane Austen you'll start to see how funny she is. You have to read Pride and Prejudice and then watch the Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant version. I love that movie more and more everytime I see it and just realized the last time I watched it that Hugh Laurie is in it as well. It's funny to watch House in that role.
Now-don't even get me started on Fergie!
Post a Comment