Tuesday, July 3, 2007

1 Great Book + 1 Great Movie = 1 Happy Girl



My latest book club selection was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I love my book club because it introduces me to new books that I might not pick on my own. It might not be quite as cool as my friend, Michelle's is, but for now it'll do! If you have not read this book, please run out and get it right now. She is the kind of writer I can only hope to be. First of all, it's an amazing story about her travels around the world, so it's bound to be interesting just based on that. Sidenote: This is also an enjoyable book about self-discovery through travel. But back on topic, in addition to the inherently appealing subject matter, she has the most beautiful way of expressing herself, choosing just the right words, making you feel as if you are there with her, experiencing Italy or India or Bali, just like she is. Her story is an inspiring one and I only hope that I'm able to express myself through writing as eloquently and humorously as she does some day. It's really a wonderful book and I highly recommend it.



Also inspiring is the latest movie we received from Netflix - oh how I love Netflix. The Motorcycle Diaries, if you haven't seen it, is an excellent, beautifully done movie. A riveting story about Ernesto "Che" Guevara's trip through South America on a motorcycle, with his friend, Alberto Granada. I had heard it was good, but really was amazed at how beautiful it looked (South America is gorgeous) and how engaging the story was. I don't know much about Guevara, but I enjoyed learning a little about him through this film. I feel like I should now write the sentence "I am not now, nor have I ever been, a communist." But Senator McCarthy isn't reading this, so I guess I'm safe. :)

1 comment:

Michelle Taft said...

book clubs are awesome! i'm adding that to our book list.