Thursday, August 28, 2008

$40.92

A pretty cool thing happened at the grocery store yesterday. Rarely will those words come out of my mouth, as I LOATHE going to the grocery store, so take note!

Tyler and I have recently put ourselves on a pretty strict budget so we can save up for desperately needed carpet for our house. I know - boring right? If we're going to budget, shouldn't we be saving for something fun like a trip or shopping spree? Nope. Carpet.

So, adhering to said budget, we had $41 left over this month in our "grocery stash" and no more groceries to buy. Hooray! I could put this toward our savings, I thought. Or use it to actually go out to dinner! I am a super-budgeter I thought to myself.

Then I got an email from our church saying that one of the ministries we are partnered with is in dire need of groceries for families in need. Ahh, how the best laid plans are often changed. I was definitely being led to use that money for a different purpose now! The grocery list was for a family of four for a week, so I knew that I'd probably just need to put what we had left toward the total, as when I buy groceries for Tyler and I for a week, it's never only $40. Imagine my shock and delight when I got to the checkout line at Kroger (and after the cashier telling me I must be REALLY hungry), and my total was $40.92. I have exactly 8 cents leftover.

My, how the Lord does provide!

No comments: