Monday, September 24, 2007

Rescue Recess!


So, when I came into work today, I got a handout entitled "Rescuing Recess." I don't know if anybody has heard about this, but what a great idea! This week is National Recess Week - again, something I had not heard of - but totally awesome. Anyway, the general idea is that only 8 state school boards have a policy that ensures daily recess - something that I know I had everyday in elementary school growing up. This movement is asking for volunteer hours from employees/fellow Atlantans to be a recess monitor, help the P.E. teacher, help renovate or build playgrounds, and many other things. However, I know this is a nationwide campaign, so check out the website to see what you can do to help in your state!

Anyway, if I can get on my soapbox for a minute - I think it's terrible that recess seems to be a thing of the past. With obesity in children at what seems to be an all-time high, it doesn't seem to make much sense to take away what might be a child's only exercise all day. I realize that parents need to be held responsible for raising their children to be healthy, active adults, but help 'em out a little and keep recess alive! It might even help the teachers out, letting the kids have an outlet for all their pent-up energy. Maybe not dodgeball, because that used to scare the heck out of me, but I used to love going outside, or to the gym, to run around with my friends. I imagine it not only helps with weight issues, but also with sociability among the kids.

So keep recess alive! Bring back Red Rover and monkey bars and all the other cool things recess involves. Did anyone else used to get to play with a giant parachute? No? That was just me? Well, it was awesome.

No comments: