
I've always sort of known that I'm more a hotel kind of girl than a pitch a tent kind of girl. More into room service than campfire cooking (though I do heart s'mores). A fan of big fluffy robes and not big hairy spiders in my tent...or bears....or anything big and hairy for that matter. More like Troop Beverly Hills than the Redfeathers. But this past week I finally really gave in - I always felt like I wanted to be one of those cool girls that could hike and camp out for days, but really, I'm just not. I love being outdoors, just not living there.
And the reason I gave in might have to do with me just being wise beyond my 27 years, but really I think it had a lot to do with staying at the Loews Santa Monica in CA this past week. A big king size bed with super soft sheets, that big fluffy robe, and a balcony that looked directly onto the beach, with the Santa Monica pier to the right. Oh, and all the little bottles of shampoo and lotion that smelled so good I wanted to eat them.
I think my first inkling of this though, might have come from a trip in high school I took with some friends to go white water rafting on the Ocoee. White water rafting = awesome. Camping in torrential downpours while holding up the center of the tent so it wouldn't fill up with water and collapse = memorable, but not awesome. And one of the funniest parts of that was when the huge bolt of lightning illuminated our tent around 2am or so and one of the guys we were with shrieked "Oh my God, we're gonna die!". That's right, these fellas we were with were not so much the outdoorsy, rugged type as the intellectual, chess-playing type. So the girls ended up pitching the tent ourselves. Good times. Girl power. It really is one of the best high school memories I have, despite the drama of it all.
So all this to say, bring on the 5 star, 500 count sheet, mint-on-my-pillow hotels, because this gal is ready to check in.
And the reason I gave in might have to do with me just being wise beyond my 27 years, but really I think it had a lot to do with staying at the Loews Santa Monica in CA this past week. A big king size bed with super soft sheets, that big fluffy robe, and a balcony that looked directly onto the beach, with the Santa Monica pier to the right. Oh, and all the little bottles of shampoo and lotion that smelled so good I wanted to eat them.
I think my first inkling of this though, might have come from a trip in high school I took with some friends to go white water rafting on the Ocoee. White water rafting = awesome. Camping in torrential downpours while holding up the center of the tent so it wouldn't fill up with water and collapse = memorable, but not awesome. And one of the funniest parts of that was when the huge bolt of lightning illuminated our tent around 2am or so and one of the guys we were with shrieked "Oh my God, we're gonna die!". That's right, these fellas we were with were not so much the outdoorsy, rugged type as the intellectual, chess-playing type. So the girls ended up pitching the tent ourselves. Good times. Girl power. It really is one of the best high school memories I have, despite the drama of it all.
So all this to say, bring on the 5 star, 500 count sheet, mint-on-my-pillow hotels, because this gal is ready to check in.
2 comments:
that trip was AWEsome! you know i haven't been camping since that night. i've come to appreciate finer accomodations as well. a little sad how we grow up, huh?
I have been camping since that night, but trust me, it was not my idea. And yes, sadly, we are growing up - though I like to think I'm just getting smarter, not older.
Post a Comment